Preventative Care for Securing Healthcare Information
Every healthcare provider faces necessary compliance tasks due to the mandates in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act's (HIPAA) security and privacy regulations. The advent of Electronic Medical Records (EMR) brings a set of even more complex obligations to protect Personally Identifiable Information (PII)--obligations that are no longer satiated by a simple lock and key.
Healthcare providers are required to ensure that in addition to compartmentalized security efforts, the flow of sensitive data and PII between labs, diagnoses, billing, and supporting healthcare providers is unequivocally secure. Traditionally, security measures are piecemealed into existing systems each time governmental regulations are modified, leaving healthcare organizations with an inconsistent, patchy security landscape. What�s more, if a breach does occur, it is invariably followed by a ripple effect that spreads far beyond the initial breach point and adversely impacts operations in other departments before it is contained.
A single, hybrid approach to security can solve these problems. Working with one security firm whose expertise lies in protecting a healthcare organization's internal and external physical, administrative, and technical components in compliance with HIPAA, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) 800-66, the Health Information Trust Alliance, (HITRUST), the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH), and Red Flag Requirements in accounting can streamline all of these processes. How is this beneficial?
An all-inclusive hybrid approach will:
- Meet all of your specific regulatory requirements
- Map and inventory your controls and your execution of those controls
- Offer precise, step-by-step contingency plans to stop and contain a breach so it cannot spread throughout the organization
- Save your organization overall time and manpower in its operational security sector
- Bridge all components of your business together with an inclusive security plan
- Provide an overall cost savings by eliminating redundant efforts and securing gaps where loss occurs
Risk is pervasive at all levels and doesn't live in isolation. Treating it any other way is what invites an information breach. VerSprite's security teams serve as expert healthcare operations' consultants, approaching your security through the eyes of both system auditors who search for control gaps, and potential hackers who attempt to circumvent your security measures. Going beyond that, VerSprite maps out how risk lives interdepartmentally and creates security protocols that everyone who handles or has access to your data assets must follow.
VerSprite expertly administers security for healthcare clients across the following areas:
- Security Architecture
- Interim CISO Services/ Security Program Development
- Application threat modeling
- Source Code Analysis
- Web Application Security
- Network Based Penetration Testing
- Social Engineering
- Control Gap Analysis
- Enterprise Risk Assessments
Which of these areas does your healthcare organization need help with today? Please reach out to us via our contact page for more information on how we can better serve you.